Almost everyone every year makes some New Year Resolutions, yet almost all of them sooner or later get abandoned just to be resumed again next New Year evening. Sometimes it’s because we take too big resolutions or too difficult to carry on. Or maybe we are just not enough convinced about them. I’ll show you how to stick to yours every year from now on.
Sticking to your New Year Resolutions step by step Guide:
- Pick one Resolution only with a crystal clear defined goal, something like lose 10 kilograms of weight, a very common resolution after Christmas holidays right?
- If it’s a big goal divide it in smaller pieces with definite steps, like lose 800 grams per month.
- Allow enough time to complete them so that you don’t feel pressured or overwhelmed by your New Year Resolution.
- Be sure that your Resolution is within reason and depends only on you and not on someone else, that is like walking half an hour a day and eating only healthy foods.
- Stick to it one day at a time, this is the most important thing to do. Take one day at a time and do what you have to.
- Every evening take ten minutes to review the day and see how it’s going with your New Year Resolution; if it has been hard or easy, if you missed something, if there was anything that could have been done differently and so on.
If you want to be able to run continuously for 50 minutes but at the moment you are pretty unfit the right way to do it, and the less stressing, is to start running one minute every other day the first week and then adding a minute more every week. In a year you’ll be able to run for 50 minutes without being aware of it, so to speak, just because you’ve divided the big goal,50 minutes, into smaller parts, one minute, and every other day you did what you have to. New Year Resolutions follow the same trail.
Almost everything can be achieved if we have a clear goal, we divide it in smaller parts and we do everyday what is needed.
Motivation and Willpower are the Keys to stick to your New Year Resolutions.
Now, the most important things to stick to your New Year Resolutions are your Willpower and your Motivation. Once you’ve decided what to do and stated that it’s within your reach then the only thing that you need is your Willpower to do every day what you have to in order to reach your goal.
Obviously there will be unexpected difficulties but if you have decided to do something which is possible and reasonable to reach then only you can prevent yourself from sticking to what you have decided to take.
Instead of taking four or five New Year Resolutions which will be abandoned soon isn’t it better to take one and do it?
Once a decision is taken only you with your Willpower can stick to it or not. Given that you have the power in your hands then what can prevent you from sticking to your New Year Resolutions? And if you need a hand with Motivation there is this article which could be interesting to read: What is Motivation.
Just remember to take one day at a time and do what you have decided to do. Think about a cake you have to eat, divide it in slices and eat one everyday.
Now, why don’t you tell me what you think about this guide to stick to your new Year Resolutions?